Tomorrow, April 22nd, is Earth Day 2011. I was searching social media to find a campaign that can help us connect globally on this issue. Ladies and gentlemen, here is A Billion Acts of Green. It is a part of Earth Day network suggested activities.
If you made some promises to yourself when we observed Earth Hour on March 26th, and have perhaps slipped, here is a chance to recommit! I liked the range of pledges I found on the site and see them as reminders of the many simple ways we can lead a more earth-friendly life. Here are the pledges that have prompted the most support at Billion Acts of Green:
- Eat more local food.
- I will bring my own reusable shopping bags to the store.
- Raise awareness about Earth Day 2011!
- I will eat a sustainable healthy plantarian, pure vegetarian, vegan diet.
- Switch off the tap while brushing.
- I will take shorter showers.
- I will wash all my clothes in cold water.
- I will lower my use of bottled water/beverages.
- I will recycle and conserve.
- I will reduce vehicle use, walk more and reduce consumption of energy.
You can adopt one or more of these or use them as inspiration and come up with something that works for you. I think the idea should be to move from generalities to specifics. You can connect with like-minded people on Facebook or Twitter.
Happy Earth Day!