You have seen the social media fan numbers for top corporate brands. You have read about the power of Facebook for brand engagement. You are still wondering whether Facebook is a really meaningful advertising or marketing platform for your business. You want to understand the story behind the Likes. What you really need is an insight into how customers/consumers use Facebook for engaging with brands. Constant Contact and the research firm Chadwick Martin Bailey have conducted a study of 1491 consumers that provide us with exactly such insights.
It comes as no surprise to know that 52% of Americans over the age of 18 spend at least an hour on Facebook every week. The interesting data is in additional information such as:
- Facebook is the most popular social platform for customers to engage with brands; it garners 34% of customer attention compared to 9% via online forums and bulletin boards.
- A Facebook Like is meaningful as over 75% of such customers only choose to follow less than 10 brands.
- It is interesting to note that 76% of customers say they have never UnLiked a brand – it may be hard to get customers to follow you but they don’t give up on you easily either!
- The top two reasons that customers Like a brand’s Facebook page is because they are existing customers and that they are looking for discounts and coupons.
- And what to kind of engagement to consumers experience through Facebook? They largely follow posts and news feeds and look for discounts.
- Proving that an engaged customer is a happy customer, 58% of people say that they are more likely to recommend a brand after they have Liked it and 51% say that they are more likely to buy a product from a brand they Like.